1. What is your office location?
JNTO Singapore office is located at:
16 Raffles Quay, #15-09 Hong Leong Building, Singapore 048581
About Singapore Office
2. Do I need a visa to visit Japan?
Depending on nationality, the purpose of visit and the length of intended stay, a foreigner may or may not require a visa to enter Japan.
4. Can I use my mobile phone in Japan?
If you are using a 3G (3rd Generation) mobile phone, you can use it in Japan. If you would prefer to rent a handset, please bring along your own SIM card and insert it into a rental phone. For more details, please check with your local mobile phone service provider or SoftBank Mobile or NTT DoCoMo.
Telephone & Postal Services (Global Site)
5. What is the climate like in Japan?
The Japanese archipelago, for the most part, belongs to the temperate zone and its climate is characterized by four distinct seasonal changes.
Climate (Global Site)
6. Travelers’ cheques, cash or credit card? What is the best way to carry money in Japan?
Money (Global Site)
7. Where can I find information on events and festivals?
Festivals & Events (Global Site)
8. Where can I find out about Japan’s National Holidays and business hours?
Business Hours & Holidays (Global Site)
9. When I arrive in Japan, where can I get more information?
Tourist Information Centers (Global Site)
10. Where can I find information on flights and tours?
Japan is easily accessible from Malaysia with direct flights every day. Information on flight schedules and fares can be obtained by contacting the airlines directly, or through your travel agent or tour operator. There are many tour operators offering a variety of travel options to help you make the most of your visit to Japan.
Travel Agent List
11. What is a Japan Rail Pass and how can I purchase one?
The Japan Rail Pass is a special pass available only to travelers visiting Japan from foreign countries for sightseeing and gives the bearer unlimited travel on JR lines and affiliated buses and ferries (with some exceptions).
Japan Rail Pass
12. What other kinds of regional rail passes are there?
For the regional travelers, the following JR Passes offer reasonable prices and convenience; JR Hokkaido Rail Pass for Hokkaido, JR East Pass for northeastern Japan from Tokyo except Hokkaido, JR West Rail Pass for western Japan from Kansai International Airport and JR Kyushu Rail Pass for all of Kyushu island.
Discount Tickets (Global Site)
13. Where can I look up train timetables?
You can make use of digital train timetables available online to plan your journey, please visit the following websites for the timetables.
Train Route Finder
14. What is a Ryokan? Do you have any recommendations?
Ryokan, or otherwise known as the traditional Japanese inn, allows you to experience the unique Japanese culture and customs. For more information and recommendations, please visit the following website:
Type of Accommodations – Ryokan (Global Site)
15. I would like to book some accommodation, do you have any suggestions?
In Japan you will find a variety of accommodation styles to suit all tastes and budgets. These range from western-style lodgings including Deluxe Hotels, Business Hotels and Pensions to Japanese-style accommodation. For more information and recommendations, please visit the following websites:
Type of Accommodations – Online Reservation Sites (Global Site)
16. I will be traveling long distances in Japan but will not be using the bullet trains. Is there an economical alternative?
There are many day and overnight coach services to major cities in Japan, which can cost less than half the price of a bullet train ticket.
Automobiles (Global Site)
17. I am traveling to Japan with children. Where can I find more information about things to do?
There will be many things to do and places to visit when you bring children. For a start, theme parks are interesting places that will surely capture their imagination. Museums throughout Japan offer the opportunity for both adults and children to learn more about Japan.
Theme Parks (Global Site)
Trips for Children